The job interview thank you letter is a crucial part of your after interview follow up strategy, remember many candidates will not bother to write a thank you note. By neglecting to do this they are missing a golden opportunity to once again demonstrate that their candidacy stands head and shoulders above the competition.
Six Important Reasons to Say Thank You!
Before you put pen to paper to craft your perfect letter, let’s first examine the reasons for writing one:
1. The first is that it is another opportunity to sell yourself to the interviewer, so make sure you reiterate your main strengths in the letter.
2. Second, the interviewer has a number of competing priorities in their working day, by the time they finish interviewing all candidates it is unlikely that they are going to remember everything you said. The job interview thank you letter is more than just a thank you, it’s another opportunity to remind the interviewer why YOU are the answer to their problems.
3. We have all walked away from a job interview at some point in our lives wishing we had said something that we forgot in the interview, this is your second chance, say it in the letter!
4. In addition to the above points, it fortifies your professionalism, demonstrating that you are thoughtful, organised, attentive to detail and someone who is willing to go the extra mile; these are qualities that all employers admire.
5. The fifth reason is that not only is it a way to keep the communication channels open between you and the employer, all things being equal it may be the deciding factor between you and the other favoured candidates.
6. Finally, and most important of all it is common courtesy and we as human beings tend to warm to those who are courteous to us. Be nice to others and you will activate the law of reciprocity!
The guidelines below offer insight into how to write a compelling interview thank you letter, one which inspires the reader to lift up the phone and offer you the job!
While there are plenty of sample interview thank you letters on this site, they are meant as guidance only. Never directly copy someone else’s letter, it will come across as inauthentic and miss the mark with the interviewer.
There is nothing worse than an insincere thank you! So, following the guidelines below, have a go at crafting your perfect thank you letter – imbued with authenticity and sincerity. Then sit back and wait for the call, you’ll be amazed at the benefits a few well chosen words can bring!
Job Interview Thank You Letter Guidelines
Address line 1
Address line 2
Name of Organisation
Address line 1
Address line 2
Dear Mr/Mrs (whether or not you use a first name or not in the salutation, depends on the formality of the interview)
The first section of the letter should compel the reader to want to read more, so mention your enthusiasm for the job here and thank them for the meeting. You might also want to add a sentence about something that you found genuinely interesting about the conversation you had.
The second paragraph of your thank you letter should point out the reasons why you are a first-rate candidate for the post. Reiterate the specialized skills you posses that relate to the job and outline why these skills will bring value to their organisation. Mention any particular qualities or specialist education you posses, which makes you the ideal candidate for the job.
The second paragraph can also be used to provide a solution to the organisational challenges they spoke about during the interview. Highlight your experience of managing similar issues, describe how you successfully tackled these issues in the past, point out how your related experience could benefit their company.
The third paragraph (optional) can be used to point out additional relevant qualities you posses that you forgot to mention in the interview that you’d like the interviewer to know. This gives you a further chance to impress the interviewer.
Reiterate your enthusiasm in the final paragraph. Express your genuine excitement and interest in the opportunity, tell them why you are excited and what getting the job would mean to you. Conclude by letting the interviewer know that you are looking forward to hearing their decision.
Yours Sincerely, (or yours truly, kind regards, warm regards)
Taking the time to write an authentic job interview thank you letter not only demonstrates your enthusiasm for the job, but also your willingness to go the extra mile. Remember, when it comes to saying thank you, don’t imitate, innovate! It may just be the difference between you and another candidate, it might just land you the job!
You may also be interested in…
Job Interview Follow up:Follow these 7 steps to writing a winning interview thank you letter that seals the deal and wins the job.
After Interview Thank You Email: Find sample follow up Email thank you letters.
Originally posted 2016-09-06 16:40:07.